Cosmetic Bonding is one of the most conservative dental treatments in dentistry today. It can have a dramatic and instant outcome resulting in a life changing experience for the patient. It can change a timid smile into a full and confident smile. This can be achieved in one visit usually without the removal of any tooth structure, so it can be a reversible procedure.
Cosmetic bonding, also known as composite veneer, composite bonding or dental bonding, has been used in dentistry for many years. It is an excellent way to repair cracked, chipped and discoloured teeth. Cosmetic bonding can also be used to close gaps and reshape misaligned teeth, providing a straighter, more uniform and whiter smile.
Bonding composite to teeth is a conservative alternative to Porcelain Veneers because it requires minimal or no removal of tooth structure and can be repaired quickly and easily if the tooth is accidentally chipped. It is also very cost effective compared to Porcelain Veneers. Longevity of the bonding is usually around 5 years.
– Photos are taken before treatment.
– A local anaesthetic may be given to numb the tooth and the surrounding tissue, usually no anaesthetic is required.
– The gums should be in good healthy state before the procedure, so good oral hygiene is paramount weeks before the procedure.
All decay, plaque and tartar will be removed prior to the treatment.
– The tooth is prepared using light air abrasion and a phosphoric-acid-based gel; this roughens the surface of the tooth allowing
a stronger bond to the cosmetic resin. A bonding agent (glue) is applied to the roughened surface and set using a resin curing light.
The composite resin is then applied in layers and set at each stage using the curing light. The composite resin will be continued to
applied in layers until the desired shape and colour is achieved.
– The last stage is to polish the composite veneer and smooth the surface giving a life like appearance.
– Patient will return in one to two weeks for a short appointment for any minor adjustments and final photos.
A conservative alternative to Porcelain Veneers. New smile in one visit.